|Subject||English – Beehive|
|Chapter||If I were you|
NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 11
Beehive Chapter 11: Question – Answers
9 English Chapter 11: If I Were You – Answers
Passages with Question Answer
I. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
That’s a lie. You’re not dealing with a fool. I’m as smart as you and smarter, and I know you run a car. Better be careful, wise guy!
1. Why has the intruder broken into Gerrard’s house?
2. Who speaks these lines and to whom?
3. What is the occasion? See Answers
II. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
Your idea is to elude the police by killing me and taking on my identity?
1. Identify ‘you’ and ‘me’.
2. How did the speaker help himself?
3. Name the lesson. See Answers
III. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
Hello. Yes, speaking. Sorry I can’t let you have the props in time for rehearsal, I’ve had a spot of bother quite amusing. I think I’ll put it in my next play. Listen, can you tell our friend the Sergeant to come up here at once? You’ll probably find him in the Public Bar.
1. Why does he want his friend, the Sergeant to come at once?
2. Why could the speaker not return the ‘props’ in time?
3. What was assuming for the speaker? See Answers
Answers for passages
Answers for Passage I:
1. The intruder has broken into Gerrard’s cottage because he wishes to kill him and take on his identity.
2. The intruder speaks these line to Gerrard.
3. The intruder has just broken into Gerrard’s cottage. He aims at killing Gerrard and taking on his identity.
Answers for Passage II:
1. “You’ is the intruder and ‘me’ is Gerrard.
2. The speaker, Gerrard outwitted the intruder and got him arrested.
3. The name of the lesson is ‘If I Were You’.
Answers for Passage III:
1. He wanted his friend the Sergeant to come at once to arrest the intruder, he had just managed to lock into the cupboard.
2. The speaker had somehow managed to lock an intruder into the cupboard. Now, he wanted to get the latter arrested by calling the Sergeant. This had delayed his going and delivering the props.
3. The speaker was assumed at the thought that the intruder who intended to murder, was himself locked in the cupboard and was soon to be arrested.