NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 2
Beehive Chapter 2: Question – Answers
9 English Chapter 2: The Sound of Music – Answers
9 English Poem 2: Wind – Answers
Passages with Question Answer
I. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
But Evelyn was not going to give up. She was determined to lead a normal life and pursue her interest in music. One day she noticed a girl playing a xylophone and decided that she wanted to play it too. Most of the teachers discouraged her but percussionist Ron Forbes spotted her potential. He began by tuning two large drums to different notes. “Don’t listen through your ears,” he would say, “try to sense it some other way.” Says Evelyn, “Suddenly I realised I could feel the higher drum from the waist up and the lower one from the waist down.”
- Why did Ron Forbes encourage her?
- ‘Evelyn was not going to give up’. What was Evelyn not going to give up?
- Find out the word from the extract which means ‘find’. See Answers
II. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
It is intriguing to watch Evelyn function so effortlessly without hearing. In our two-hour discussion she never missed a word. “Men with bushy beards give me trouble,” she laughed. “It is not just watching the lips, it’s the whole face, especially the eyes.” She speaks flawlessly with a Scottish lilt. “My speech is clear because I could hear till I was eleven,” she says. But that doesn’t explain how she managed to learn French and master basic Japanese.
- Which kind of men does Evelyn dislike?
- Write the name of the lesson and name of the author.
- Find a word in the passage which means ‘without any fault’. See Answers
III. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
Evelyn confesses that she is something of a workaholic. “I’ve just got to work . . . often harder than classical musicians. But the rewards are enormous.” Apart from the regular concerts, Evelyn also gives free concerts in prisons and hospitals. She also gives high priority to classes for young musicians.
- Which rewards is the referring to?
- Why is she called workaholic?
- Find a word in the passage which means same as ‘very big’. See Answers
Answers for passages
Answers for Passage I:
1. Ron Forbes encouraged her because he had spotted her potential.
2. Evelyn was not going to give her inter in music.
Answers for Passage II:
1. Evelyn dislike men with bushy beard.
2. The name of the lesson is ‘The Sound of Music’ and the name of the author is Deborah Cowley.
Answers for Passage III:
1. She is referring to the regular concerts she gets a chance to perform.
2. She is called workaholic as she never shirks work