NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 8 Reach for the Top & the poem On Killing a Tree is given below. Visit to NCERT Textbook Sols of other subjects or download NCERT Solutions Apps for offline use.
|Subject||English – Beehive|
|Chapter||Reach for the Top|
NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 8
Beehive Chapter 8: Question – Answers
- Beehive Chapter 8: Reach for the Top
- Beehive Poem 8: On Killing a Tree
- Beehive Passages with questions answers
9 English Chapter 8: Reach for the Top – Answers
9 English Poem 8: On Killing a Tree – Answers
Passages with Question Answer
I. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
A marriage as early as that was the last thing on her mind. She threatened her parents that she would never marry if she did not get a proper education. She left home and got herself enrolled in a school in Delhi. When her parents refused to pay for her education, she politely informed them of her plans to earn money by working part time to pay her school fees. Her parents then agreed to pay for her education.
1. What did Santosh want to do before marriage?
2. What did her parents refuse?
3. Why did she threaten her parents? See Answers
II. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
At barely twenty years of age, Santosh Yadav scaled Mt Everest, becoming the youngest woman in the world to achieve the feat. If her climbing skills, physical fitness, and mental strength impressed her seniors, her concern for others and desire to work together with them found her a special place in the hearts of fellow climbers.
1. When did Santosh achieve her success?
2. What is specific about her feat?
3. How did Santosh make home in the heart of his fellow climbers? See Answers
III. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
When her mother was expecting Santosh, a travelling ‘holy man’, giving her his blessing, assumed that she wanted a son. But, to everyone’s surprise, the unborn child’s grandmother, who was standing close by, told him that they did not want a son. The ‘holy man’ was also surprised! Nevertheless, he gave the requested blessing.. and as destiny would have it, the blessing seemed to work. Santosh was born the sixth child in a family with five sons, a sister to five brothers.
1. Identify ‘her mother’ in the first line of the passage.
2. Who visited their house and what did he do?
3. What did the holy man assume? See Answers
Answers for passages
Answers for Passage I:
1. She wanted to get a proper education before marriage.
2. Her parents refused to pay for her education.
3. She threatened her parents because she wanted to get proper education before marriage.
Answers for Passage II:
1. At twenty years of age, Santosh achieved her success.
2. She is the youngest woman in the world to achieve the feat.
3. She desired to work together and had a special concern for therm.
Answers for Passage III:
1. The phrase ‘her mother’ refers to the mother of Santosh Yadav.
2. The ‘holy man’ visited their house and he blessed the expecting mother of Santosh Yadav.
3. The holy man assumed that the expected mother also wanted a son.