NCERT Solutions for Class 2 Science Chapter 11 The Sun, Light and Shadow questions answer and worksheets updated for new session 2022-2023 CBSE and State board. Students of Class 2 will learn about the phenomenon of forming shadow due to light. They find this chapter very interesting. All the facts based on light and its shadow are given here using pictures.
Study Material for Class 2 Science Chapter 11
The sun is a big ball of fire. It gives us light and heat. It is the natural source of light. The sun is about 150 million kilometers away from the earth.
Why Sun is Important for Life
Without sun life may not possible on earth. Sun maintain weather condition on earth. Plants need sunlight to grow. They cannot grow in dark. The sun regulates water cycle. Germs do not grow in sunlight. We should let sunlight pass in our houses. The sun melts the ice of high mountains. The melted ice becomes water. This water fills the rivers.
Light and Shadow
When light cannot pass through an object, a shadow is formed. When our body blocks the path of light, our shadow is formed on the opposite side of light.
Note: your shadow is long in the morning. It becomes short at noon and grows long again at evening.
1. We need light to see things.
2. The sun is a big ball of fire.
3. It gives us light and heat.
4. Plants need sunlight to grow.
5. The sun regulates water cycle.
6. When light cannot pass through an object, a shadow is formed.
7. The sun regulates water cycle.
Select correct answer from given options:
How is a shadow formed?
When light cannot pass through an object, a shadow is formed.
What does heat of the sun do?
sun gives out heat and light which is very important for life on earth. The heat of sun maintains weather condition on the earth.
Write ‘Yes’ for right statements and ‘No’ for the wrong ones.
1. Sun has its own light.
2. A torch needs cells to work.
3. Moon also has its own light.
4. Everything that burns gives light.
5. A firefly glows at night.
Fill in the blank with correct word given in bracket:
1. We cannot see in the ______. (light / dark)
2. The ______ has its own light. (moon / sun)
3. Germs do not grow in ______. (sunlight / dark)
4. In the morning the shadow is _______. (large / short)
5. The sun gives us _________. (heat / strength)