NCERT Solutions for Class 2 Science Chapter 7 Houses and Clothes with assignments, practice questions, MCQ, and extra questions updated for session 2023-24 free. The students of standard 2 will learn here about the type of houses and clothes they wear. The topic is described using easy to understand sentences. Students will find it easy to learn.
Study Material for Class 2 Science Chapter 7
Houses and Clothes
We all need a house to live in. A house protects us from rain, storm, heat, cold, wild animals and thieves. We feel safe in our house.
TYPES OF HOUSES
There are two types of houses:
These are permanent houses and temporary houses.
Permanent houses are strong houses. They are also called Pucca houses. People can live in these houses for many years.
Temporary houses are weak houses. They are also called Kachcha houses. These houses are easily damaged by storms and floods.
What are Houses made of?
Houses are made of different materials like straw, mud, wood, leaves, bamboo, bricks, cement tiles and stones. People build houses with materials which they can get easily. Houses have different roofs at different places.
Roofs of A House
Houses have different kinds of roofs:
1. Some houses have flat roofs.
2. Some houses have sloping roofs. Places where snowfall or rain occurs frequently have houses with sloping roofs.
A Good House
A good house must have:
1. A good house must be airy.
2. It must let in plenty of sunshine.
3. It must be spacious.
4. It must be neat and clean.
5. It must have enough supply of water.
Keep Your House Clean
1. You should keep your house neat and clean.
2. You should keep your books and toys in proper places.
3. You should throw rubbish into a dustbin.
Some special houses
1. Bungalow: a big and separate Pucca house.
2. Apartment: a tall building with many flats.
3. Rubbish: garbage or wastes.
4. Houseboat: a house that floats on water.
5. Tent: a house made up of canvas cloth.
6. Igloo: a house made up of snow.
Clothes are also our basic need. We need clothes to cover our body. Clothes protect us from the heat, cold and rain. They also protect us from insect bites.
Clothes in Different Seasons
There are three types of seasons: summer, winter and rainy. We use different types of clothes in different seasons.
We wear cotton clothes in summer. Cotton clothes keep our body cool. They let air move in and out
We wear woolen clothes in winter. Woolen clothes keep our body warm. They do not let air move in and out.
We wear raincoat in rainy season. Water cannot pass through it. We can also use an umbrella in rain.
Note: on special occasion we wear some special clothes like school dress, dress for a function, at night etc.
1. We live in a house.
2. Animals also need a house.
3. A house protects us from heat, cold and rain.
4. There are two types of houses permanent houses and temporary houses.
5. There are two types of roofs flat and sloping.
6. A good house must be airy.
7. We need clothes to cover our body.
8. Clothes protect us from heat, cold and rain.
9. Clothes also protect us from insect bites.
10. We wear woolen clothes in winter.
11. We wear cotton clothes in summer.
12. We use raincoats and umbrellas in rainy season.
Choose correct option for given questions:
A snake lives in a
Which of the following is not a building material?
Which of the following is a movable house?
Eskimos live in a/an
Clothes protect us from
In summers, we wear
Which of the following clothes keep our body warm?
Fill in the blanks with suitable words from the hint box: (Pucca, safe, dustbin, damaged, spacious, cotton, water, raincoat, insect, woolen)
1. We feel ____________ in our home.
2. Permanent houses are also called ____________ houses.
3. Kachcha houses are easily ____________ by storms and floods.
4. A house must be _____________.
5. We should throw rubbish in a ____________.
6. Clothes protect us from ___________ bites.
7. We wear ____________ clothes in summer.
8. ____________ clothes keep our body warm.
9. _____________ cannot pass through raincoat.
10. _____________ protects us from rain.