NCERT Solutions for Class 2 Science Chapter 12 Rocks and Minerals updated for new academic session 2022-2023 free to download or use it online. Study material related to Class 2 Science are easy to understand. In chapter 12 of 2nd Science, student will learn about various types of rocks and minerals found on Earth. Most of the students find this chapter very interesting.
Study Material for Class 2 Science Chapter 12
Earth is made up of different kinds of rocks. There are rocks on the surface of the earth. Some rocks are also found below the surface of the earth.
Properties of Rocks
1. Rocks are of different colours.
2. Some rocks are very hard. Some rocks are soft and break easily. Diamond is hardest rock and lime stone is soft rock.
4. Some rocks are shiny while some are dull.
Uses of Rocks
Different rocks have different uses like marble, granite, sandstone used in building construction. Graphite is also a soft rock. It is used to make lead of pencils.
All rocks are made up of minerals. They are made up of two or more minerals.
Uses of Minerals
1. Diamond is the hardest mineral. It is used to make beautiful jewelry. It is also used to cut glass.
2. Talc is the softest mineral. It is used for making talcum powder.
3. Quartz is a common mineral. It is used in clocks and watches.
4. China clay is another important mineral. It is used to make pottery.
1. Earth’s surface is made up of land and water.
2. Land is made up of soil and rocks.
3. Rock is the hard part of the land.
4. Some rocks are hard and some are soft.
5. Marble, sandstone and granite are hard rocks.
6. Coal is a soft rock.
7. All rocks are made up of minerals.
8. Mica and quartz are two of the most common minerals that make up rocks.
Choose correct answers for given questions:
The Red Fort is made up of
The Taj Mahal is made up of
Chalk is made up of
Which is the hardest mineral?
Fill in the blanks with the given words: (Marble, Mica, Diamond, Graphite)
1. The Taj Mahal in Agra is made of ______.
2. _______ a mineral is used to cut glass.
3. ______ is used in leads of pencils.
4. _______ is used to make glass and mirrors.
What is the earth’s surface made up of?
Earth’s surface made up of rock and minerals.
What is the land made up of?
Land is made up of soil and rocks.
Name any three hard rocks.
Name of three hard rocks: Marble, Granite and diamond.
What is the use of coal?
Coal is a soft rock. It is used in homes and factories to obtain heat.
What is the use of diamond?
Diamond is the hardest mineral. It is used in jewellery-making. It is also used to cut glass.