NCERT Solutions for Class 5 EVS Chapter 22 On the Move Again in Hindi and English Medium all the question answers with extra questions updated for CBSE Session 2022-2023. Here we will learn how Dhanu celebrated Dushera in his village with father and other elders. Extra questions based on chapter 22 of 5th EVS are helpful during the revision for tests and exams.
NCERT Solutions for Class 5 EVS Chapter 22
Class 5 EVS Chapter 22 Question Answers Set 1
Who is Mukadam?
Mukadam is an agent for sugarcane factories. He helps people to find work in sugarcane fields. He is a person who lends money as loan for the expenses of villagers.
Who are the people left behind in the village and Why?
The people who were left behind in the village were old and ill people, children and unemployed people after their families migrate for work.
Why does everyone borrow money from the mukadam?
Poor people in village borrow money from the mukadam to meet their basic needs like food and clothes etc. especially when there is no money with them at home to meet their expenses.
Why can some children not go to school?
Some children could not go to school due to the following reasons:
- Lack of resources
- Too many members in a family
- Children are forced to work in fields or earn money to meet the family expenses
Class 5 EVS Chapter 22 Question Answers Set 2
What does a mukudam explain to the villagers?
Mukadam explains to the village in which areas they would go for the next six months.People just earn enough money to keep them going through these months.
How is farming done without raining?
Farming was done without rainwater with the help of new methods of irrigation that can be used to provide the required water to crops. Water can be used from canals, tube wells for irrigating the fields.
Where do the caravan of families on the move settle?
The caravan of the families stay near the sugarcane factories and work there for six months. Their children do not go to school. They help their parents in the work.
What is canal irrigation?
A canal is an artificial channel that is constructed to carry water to the fields to perform irrigation. The water is taken either from the river, tank or reservoirs.
What are advantages of canals?
Canals are fed by rain water received by rivers, and the water is used for irrigation. Production of crops needs more water which is possible through canals. As compared to un-irrigated soils, higher productivity per hectare is also possible due to canals. The main advantage to canals is that it helps in the shipping goods.
What is a caravan?
A caravan is a group of travellers, as merchants or pilgrims, who move together for safety in passing through deserts, hostile territory, etc. They can be any group travelling using any specific mode of transportation, as pack animals or motor vehicles etc.
What is debt?
Debt is that amount of money which is borrowed by one party from the another party. A debt gives the borrowing party permission to borrow money under the condition that it is to be paid back at a later date, with interest. In simple words, debt is money borrowed from another party, for something you can’t afford.
What are the challenges people face when they have to move to a new place?
The challenges faced by the people when they move to a new place are:
- New place means new adjustment
- Search for new jobs
- New school
- Changed environment
- Language and culture barriers
- Differences in beliefs, traditions
- Making acquaintance with new people.
What are the problems faced by the farmers in India?
The problems faced by the farmers in India are:
• too much dependence on rain
• insufficient Water Supply. …
• less Use of Modern Farming Equipment.
• Over Dependence on Traditional Crops.
• Poor Storage Facilities.
• Transportation Problems.
• High Interest Rates.
• Government Schemes not reaching the small Farmers.
Class 5 EVS Chapter 22 Question Answers Set 3
Why did Dhanu’s family want him go to school for the whole year?
Dhanu’s family wanted that Dhanu should go to school for the whole year so that Dhanu should get something better in his life.They did not want him to suffer the way they were suffering and wanted him to become something in life.
Who are the people left behind the village? Why? Ans.
The people who were left behind were the ladies with small children, the old and the sick people who were forced to stay behind. They could not do any work and thus were left home to look after the houses and the cattle.
Why did the mood of the people of Dhanu’s village change suddenly after the celebrations of the festival?
The mood of the people changed suddenly because the mukadam had come to lend them money and for that they had to leave their village and move to the sugarcane factories to work there.
What is puran poli?
Puran poli is a traditional Indian flatbread which is stuffed with flavoured and sweetened lentils. The outer covering is made with wheat flour or all-purpose flour. The stuffing is made with cooked chana dal (bengal gram) which is sweetened with jaggery and flavoured with cardamom and nutmeg powder.
What work were the women and children supposed to do?
Women used to get up early in the morning and go to the sugarcane fields to cut them. Then the children and women used to tie bundles of sugarcanes in the fields.
How did mukkadam help Dhanu’s family when they were in need?
The mukkadam helped Dhanu’s family by giving them work in the sugarcane fields when they were in need.
What problems to the people face if they do not go out to find work outside village?
The problems faced by the people when they do not have any work in their village and have to find work outside are:
• No money for fulfilling their basic requirements
• Lack of food and poor living condition
• No education for the children
Why do farmers need to borrow money?
Farmers need to borrow money in because
• they have to pay their monthly due to their landowners,
• they also have to pay for the maintenance of the field and taxes also both for the crops and land,
• to fulfil their needs which are required for living a good life
• for marriages or any other functions
• for education of their children
• to meet any kind of emergency they have to borrow money
Class 5 EVS Chapter 22 Question Answers Set 4
When did the villagers move out of the village?
After the celebration of Dusshera, the villagers move out of the villages for the next six months, to work in the sugar cane field of big farmers. Mukadam gives them some money as loan.
What are the uses of sugarcane?
Sugarcane is used for various things. It provides a juice, which is used for making white sugar, and jaggery (gur) and many by-products 1ike bagasse and molasses. Bagasse is used as a fuel, for production of fiber board, papers, plastics and furfural
How is life of farmers in earlier days different from life of farmers in modern times?
The life of farmers in earlier days different from that in modern times in the following ways
• They use traditional and age-old agriculture equipment. They use primitive methods of farming whereas the modern farmers use modern techniques, latest technology and innovative method
• Most of the farmers are fully dependent on farming for their livelihood whereas modern farmers have other means of livelihood also
• All the family members are engaged in farming which is not the case in modern farmer’s families.
• They are dependent on rains for irrigation whereas they have better sources of irrigation.
• Most of them are illiterate whereas they are educated .
What role does schooling have in a child’s life?
School is an important part of our child’s life as:
• It imparts knowledge about different things to a child
• It gives valuable lessons to the child in terms of knowledge, growth, and development.
• It provides knowledge for being social and interactive with different people.
• It also teaches students on how to become responsible as a citizen.
• It also gives the chance to achieve or fulfil your dreams and passion in life.
What arrangements can be made for the children whose parents are on move always?
To ensure that these children are not deprived of education following things can be done-
• They can be made to stay in a hostel which has a school in it
• A teacher can be appointed for them who can go and teach them for that particular time span
• Government can open school in such areas where there are possibilities of these people coming and staying
• Books and other type of help can be provided.
What do you think the story in chapter 22 from NCERT EVS class 5 is telling us about?
The chapter is about the Dhanu and Dhanu’s village people. Celebration in their home and the man who is working as a farmer in the land for farming for the other owner of the land. They tried to make Dhanu educated enough so that Dhanu doesn’t have to be like the mama and can settle in his life. The chapter shows the hardship of farmers with a mix of happiness.
Do you find the story of Dhanu and their family interesting in chapter 22 of class 5 EVS NCERT?
The chapter is easy to understand because the author used the language that natives understand and there are certain words native words for which the translation is also given. I found the story interesting as the story tells us about the fatherly expectation from his child and the atmosphere in a family.
What do you think the story shows as the important part of life from chapter 22 of EVS class 5 NCERT?
The story revolves around the occupation dhanu’s family has along with his working mother father and mama, Mami who sometimes visit outside the village to work in fields of sugarcane for the money as they were temporary laborers. They also realize the importance of education for Dhanu but for the job and money they had to visit outside the village.