Class 8 English Grammar Chapter 12 Interjections
Class 8 English Grammar Chapter 12 Interjections. An Interjection is a word which is used to express a sudden feeling of joy or sorrow or emotion of the mind. It is not a part of speech because it does not enter into the structure of a sentence.It stands independently. Ah and Ah me are used for both sorrow and joy. For example, Ah me! What a bloody deed. (Sorrow). Ah! Your mother has died. (Sorrow). Ah! I have stood first in the class. (Joy).
Standard 8 English Grammar Chapter 12 Interjections
|Class: 8||English Grammar|
Grade 8 English Grammar Chapter 12 Interjections
Interjection words for Joy
Words: Hurrah! Ha! Ha! Ah!, Aha!. Ha! etc.
- Hurrah! I have passed.
- Ha! Ha! Sweets will be distributed in the school.
- Ah! My brother has got first division.
- Aha! Ha! My brother is laughing.
- Aha! Papa has come back.
Interjection words for Sorrow
Words: Alas! Ah! Ah me! Ha! Sorry! etc.
- Alas! I am ruined.
- Ah! He fell from the roof.
- Ah me! What a nasty deed.
- Ha! You had a nasty fall.
- Sorry! I cannot lend you my book.
Interjection words for Surprise
Words: What! Oh! Good Heavens! Good God! etc.
- Oh! You came back.
- What! Did he fail?
- Oho! So strangely is she dressed.
- Good Heavens! The car is missing.
- Good God! She has won the lottery twice.
Interjection words for Attention
Words: Lo! Hush! Behold! Listen! Look! Hark! etc.
- Lo! He is here again.
- Hush! The child is sleeping.
- Behold! Someone is coming.
- Listen! You have to deliver my message to Sita.
- Look! Never go outside in the dark.
- Hark! Someone is knocking at the door.
Interjection words for Calling or Addressing
Words: Ho! Holla! Hallo! Hello! etc.
- Ho! Come here, Mohan.
- Holla ! Let us go out for a tour.
- Hallo! Start the race.
- Hellow! Where are you coming from ?
- Hallow! How do you do?
Interjection words for Approval
Words: O.K.!, Well done!, Bravo! Splendid! Back up! etc.
- O.K. I shall see you tomorrow.
- Well done! You have caught the thief.
- Bravo! You have played well.
- Splendid! You have won the war.
- Back up! You are nearing the goal.
Interjection words for Shame
Words: For shame!, Fie!, Fie, Fie! etc.
- For shame! Your sister has run away from home.
- Fie! Fie! She has not repaid your loan.
- Fie! A teacher and afraid of students.
- Fie upon you for doing it!
- Fie! Untidy! Throw it away.
Parts of speech as Interjections
|Noun Infinitive||To think of him as a friend!|
|Noun||A horse! My Kindom dukedom for a horse.|
|Pronoun||What a beautiful sight it is!|
|Verb||Hear Hear! (Applause)|
|Adverb||How charming the voice is!|
|Conjunction||If only I could see my father again!|
Phrases can be used as Interjections
Dear me!, Cheer up!, Good Gracious!, God knows!, Good bye!, Farewell!, O Death!, Welcome!, Thank God!, My foot!, My son!, My God! etc.