Science is the understanding of the working of anything in the universe using methods of logic and reasoning. It is this factor of reasoning and concrete evidence-based conclusions that separate it from faith and belief.
So, science is as old as thinking of man itself. From learning to start a fire and making of wheel, to present-day high-tech industries and rocketing skyscrapers, science has contributed immensely to the development of our civilization.
- 1 History of Science
- 1.1 Scope of Science
- 1.1.1 How is Science different from other fields in academics?
- 1.1.2 What courses can I opt after having studied Science at the intermediate level?
- 1.1.3 What are the Engineering entrance exams that students can appear after having studied Science during the 12th standard in School?
- 1.1.4 What are the Medical entrance exams that students can appear after having studied Science during the 12th standard in School?
- 1.1 Scope of Science
What is Science?
The applications of knowledge of science are innumerable. This application of science is known as technology. Its applications in different fields are listed below:
- In everyday lives, we use products of science and technology to wash our clothes (washing machines), regulate the temperatures of our homes (fans, coolers, ACs), cook our food (stoves, LPG, microwaves), entertain us (television, mobiles, video games), transport us from one place to another (cars, buses, trains), etc.
- In agriculture, we make use of genetically engineered seeds that require lesser water and harmful pesticides and which give more product per unit area. Tractors and harvesters help reduce the workload that takes a toll on humans.
- In education, we take help of online resources to cover school and college curriculum and learn new hobbies
- In the health sector, technology is used in diagnosing diseases using blood tests, ultrasound, MRI scans, CT scans, etc. It also helps cure ailments thorough medicines and vaccines.
- We also make use of technologies like the internet and computing in several other fields like manufacturing, trading, banking, insurance
- Science is also used to predict or warn about some of the natural and man-made disasters like floods, tsunamis, cyclones, etc.
- Science and technology are also critical for the defence of a nation. Better weapons for offense and defence like fighter planes, tanks, ships, etc help a nation secure its borders and also help avoid wars by acting as a deterrent.
- Technology also enables us to search for other possible habitable planets like earth, which might become our future home.
- Emerging applications of new technologies like biotechnology, nanotechnology, quantum physics can help solve several of the problems that humanity faces.
History of Science
In ancient India, there was a lot of focus on science and medicine. We witnessed the work of great men like Aryabhatt, Charak, Patanjali, Susruta. But in medieval ages, science had taken a backseat which contributed to British domination of our country.
But after independence, realizing its importance, India has once again focussed back on science. We have had several achievements like sending orbiters to Moon and Mars (Chandrayaan and Mangalyaan), solving the Y2K problem (one of the greatest issues that computers faced in the year 2000), building supercomputers like Param, building out own missiles systems like Bramhos, developing our navigation system Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) and the list goes on.
Scope of Science
A student has several career options in the field of science. The following are the broad classifications of these
Research: Research in mother branches of science like physics, chemistry, and biology. A person can become a scientist through this option. Some of the popular subjects of research currently are quantum physics, superconductivity, biotechnology.
Engineering: This is related more to the application of science. Several streams of engineering include a computer, electrical, electronics, aeronautical, mechanical, chemical, civil, etc. These lead to several different careers like coding, manufacturing, production, designing, teaching. One can also join Engineering Services of Central (Indian Engineering Service) and State governments. Engineering at masters and Ph.D. levels also include research.
Medical Profession: a student can also opt for careers like doctors, surgeons, nurses. One can also become a lab technician, pharmacist, drug tester, dietician and so on.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is Science different from other fields in academics?
Science is a very dynamic subject. It can be thought of as a discipline that requires a degree of evidence. It blends logic with imagination, which differentiates it from other fields.
What courses can I opt after having studied Science at the intermediate level?
There are several different courses that one can apply for after having studied Science during schooling. Some of them are listed below:
BCA (Bachelor of Computer Application)
What are the Engineering entrance exams that students can appear after having studied Science during the 12th standard in School?
The most popular engineering entrance exams that students can appear for after 12th standard are Popular Engineering Entrance Exam
Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Mains and Advanced,
Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITSAT)
VIT Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE)
What are the Medical entrance exams that students can appear after having studied Science during the 12th standard in School?
The most popular medical entrance exams that students can appear for after 12th standard are
Popular Medical Entrance Exam
National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET)
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE)