NCERT Solutions for Class 5 EVS Chapter 12
NCERT Solutions for Class 5 EVS Chapter 12 What if it finishes? Questions answers with extra questions important notes updated for CBSE 2021-2022 exams and school tests. There are ample questions, including NCERT exercises questions, to revise the chapter and practice for the exams.Answers and explanations of each question are also given in simplified format.
NCERT Solutions for Class 5 EVS Chapter 12
Class 5 EVS Chapter 12 Question Answers Set 1
What are natural resources?
The substances that exists naturally on the earth and can be used by the people in different ways are called natural resources. Example- Sunlight, air. Water, plants, animals, soil, minerals, fossil fuel etc.
What are the different types of natural resources?
The two types of different of natural resources are-
a) Renewable Resources
b) Non- Renewable Resources
Differentiate between Renewable and non-renewable resources.
Answer:Difference between renewable and non-renewable energy sources are given below:
|Renewable Resources||Non-renewable Resources|
|These resources are the ones that can be replenished easily in a short period of time.||These resources are the resources which if depleted take reasonable time to be renewed.|
|They are also called inexhaustible resources.||They are also called as exhaustible resources.|
|Examples: air, wind, water, soil, solar energy||Examples: minerals, fossil fuels|
|They are environment friendly and do not cause pollution.||They are not environment friendly and cause pollution.|
|These resources are abundant and do not get finished.||These resources are scarce and will finish if not used wisely.|
Class 5 EVS Chapter 12 Question Answers Set 2
What do you understand by Fossil Fuels?
Fossil Fuels are the sources of energy that have developed below the earth by natural processes such as decomposition of buried dead organisms, plants and animals over millions of years. Example of fossil fuels are- coal, petroleum, natural gas.
What is petroleum?
Petroleum is a very important fuel which is found in its crude form. Petroleum is a naturally occurring liquid which is found beneath the earth’s surface and can be refined into fuel. Petroleum is a fossil fuel as it has been created by the decomposition of organic matter over millions of years and is used to make various by products like petrol, diesel, LPG, Jet Fuel.
What are the advantages of using Petroleum products?
The advantages of using petroleum products are as follows:
• They are very important sources of energy as they originate from living things, once plants and animals
• They help us to run our vehicles
• They help us to cook our food
• They heat our homes
• They provide us with electricity
What are the disadvantages of using Petroleum products?
The disadvantages of using petroleum products are-
• They are non-renewable resources
• Burning of these fuels emits carbon dioxide which leads to global warming
• It also produces sulphur dioxide which contributes to acid rain
• Transporting fuels from mines or well can cause pollution and lead to serious accidents
Mention a few fuel saving techniques which we should follow at home.
Some fuel saving techniques which we should follow at home are:
• Use pressure cookers or covered utensils and vessels for cooking or heating as they consume less heat.
• Try to use solar cookers or heaters for cooking or heating water as solar energy is a renewable resource.
• Switch off the fans and lights when not in use so as to save electricity produces by thermal power plant that use coal.
How can we save fuel on road?
We can do the following things to save fuel on the road:
- Use public transport to go too far off places
- Try carpooling for going to office, school etc.
- Use CNG (compressed Natural Gas) that produce less smoke.
- Switch off the engines at traffic signal, level crossings and jammed place.
- Use cycle or walk to nearby places
- Use solar or battery powered engines.
- Get your vehicle’s pollution level checked at regular intervals.
Class 5 EVS Chapter 12 Question Answers Set 3
What are the problems faced due to increasing number of vehicles on the road?
The problems faced due to increasing number of vehicles on the road are:
• Overcrowding or jams on the roads
• Air and noise pollution caused due to burning of fuel, running engines, honking of vehicles,
• Pollution leading to lung disorders and hearing problems
• More usage of fuels will increase the prices and make them too high
• Overuse can result in finishing of the resources.
What will happen if the fuels get finished?
If the fuels get finished then,
• Life of the people will come to a standstill as we use these resources in our daily life
• Commuting to far off places would become very difficult
• We will have to look for alternative sources as they will not be available.
CNG is preferred over petrol and diesel to run vehicles. Why?
CNG is preferred over petrol and diesel to run vehicles as it has less carbon content whereas petrol and diesel majorly have more carbon along with lesser number of other gases. So, CNG produces less smoke on burning and thus causes less pollution.
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) is thus a clean fuel as it does not produce any smoke and gives very high energy. It is often called an eco-friendly fuel. CNG is used as a fuel in auto rickshaws, cars and buses to control pollution.
How is burning of damp wood and cow dung cakes harmful?
Burning of damp wood and cow dung cake while cooking in villages leads to bad cough as it produces a lot of smoke which contains harmful gases / When these gases are inhaled then it causes persistent cough and lung related diseases like Bronchitis, Asthma. It can also lead to a deadly disease called cancer.
What is an oil refinery?
An oil refinery is an industrial process plant where crude oil is transformed into more useful products such as petrol, diesel, kerosene, CNG and jet fuel.
Why should we should switch off the vehicles when we stop at a red light?
We should switch off the vehicles when at red light:
• To avoid the wastage of fuel and to save it as fuels are non-renewable and take millions of years for its formation, so conservative usage may help to reduce it getting exhausted.
• to protect the environment from air pollution
• When all the engines of the vehicles are turned off, it prevents the emission of toxic gases to the environment and thus helps in keeping the environment clean
• It also saves money.
Class 5 EVS Chapter 12 Question Answers Set 4
How is petrol pumped out?
Petrol is pumped out along a pipe from the tank and mixed with air in the carburetor, from which the engine sucks in the mixture. In the fuel-injection system which is used on some engines, the petrol and air are mixed in the inlet in many ways. A fuel pump draws the petrol out of the tank through a pipe to the carburetor
What is coal?
Coal is a valuable natural resource. It is a kind of rock formed from the remains of plants which decay into compost and get converted into coal by the heat and pressure over millions of years. Some iron and steel making and other industrial processes burn coal.
How are by products of petroleum obtained?
Petroleum products are obtained when the petroleum refineries change the crude oil into petroleum products so that they can be used as fuels for transportation, heating, paving roads, and generating electricity and as feed stocks for making chemicals. By refining, the crude oil breaks down into its various components, which are then converted into new products.
Why do majority of people use cow dung, cake uple, wood and dry twigs as fuels?
Majority of people use cow dung uple, wood etc as fuel to:
• Fulfill their need of fuel and overcome the shortage of daily fuel requirements
• to make food especially the rural population still uses the older methods such as cow dung, wood and twigs to ignite fire and cook
• moreover, they are cheap and locally as well as easily available.
• cook food, keep themselves warm, for heating water and for lighting.
How can we save petrol? Suggest few ways.
Various ways in which we can save petrol are:
- Keep the tyres inflated as it is one of the easiest and essential way to reduce petrol usage. Saving petrol means saving money.
- Fill proper fuel in the vehicle. The more fuel in your tank, less the wastage and good average of the fuel is achieved.
- Prefer walking on foot or using bicycle to nearby places
- We should keep our vehicles switched off on red lights.
- Get the service of your vehicle done regularly.
Class 5 EVS Chapter 12 Question Answers Set 5
What does mining mean?
Mining is the process in which things are dug out of the ground. Any material that cannot be grown must be mined. Mining things from the ground is also called extraction. Mining can include extraction of metals and minerals, like coal, diamond, gold, silver, platinum, copper, tin and iron.
What are minerals?
Minerals are substances that are formed naturally in the Earth. Rocks are made of minerals. Minerals are usually solid, inorganic, have a crystal structure, and are formed naturally by geological processes.
What problems do we face from the speeding vehicles?
The problems which are faced due to speeding vehicles are-
• accidents happen due to speeding vehicles.
• Damage of human life.
• It causes more pollution.
• It can cause traffic jams.
Why will petrol and diesel not last forever?
Petrol and diesel will not last forever because:
• Both of them are fossil fuels which take millions of years to be formed.
• They are non-renewable resources.
• These resources are not going to be available again when once used.
• Thus, these resources must be used judiciously and wisely as they may not be available in future due to their too much use in present.
What is solar energy? How is it useful to us?
Solar energy is the energy which is made from the light and heat of the sun. It is energy of the sun that is converted into thermal or electrical energy. Solar energy is a renewable, inexhaustible and affordable form of energy. Electrical energy generated from solar energy can be stored in solar cells. The solar technologies can harness this energy for different uses like:
• generating electricity
• providing light or a comfortable interior environment
• heating water for domestic, commercial, or industrial use.
• It can be used to cook food, heat water, and generate electricity
• It can be used to run various gadgets at home
• It can be used to run cars also.
Class 5 EVS Chapter 12 Question Answers Set 6
What is a solar panel?
Solar panels are the devices that are used to absorb the sun’s rays and convert them into electricity or heat. A solar panel is actually a collection of solar cells, which can be used to generate electricity. They are thus, the devices that convert light into electricity. They are called “solar” panels because they work on the most powerful source of light, the Sun. Lots of small solar cells spread over a large area can work together to provide enough power.
What do we get from petroleum? Ans
From petroleum or oil that we get the following products:
• engine oil
• fuel for aircrafts
• L.P.G. (cooking gas)
• Coal tar
How is petroleum useful?
Petroleum is useful as it is:
• used as a fuel and plays an important role in land, sea and air transportation.
• Refined and used in the production of various petrochemicals like gasoline, lubricating oil, printing ink etc.
• used for power generation.
• used for dry cleaning purposes.
• used for making plastic and paints
• used for running machines
• Used for lighting
Why do the prices of petrol and diesel keep going up?
The prices of petrol and diesel keep going up because the production of both of them is limited while the demand and consumption of both is increasing day by day. Moreover, usage of more vehicles and dependence of people for commuting from one place to another has increased the number of vehicles on road and thus it has resulted in more vehicles and lesser fuel availability.
How can we conserve oil for the future?
We can follow these ways to conserve oil:
• Plant bigger gardens to have less cutting space
• Use electric and solar powered cars
• walk, bike, carpool, or take public subways/buses whenever possible
• use a GPS to find the fastest way to get somewhere without using too much oil
• use cloth or jute reusable bags for groceries and other shopping
Class 5 EVS Chapter 12 Question Answers Set 7
Why should we use the resources wisely and judiciously?
We need to use the resources wisely and judiciously because resources like oil, minerals, and soil take hundreds or thousands and even millions of years to be made. These are called non-renewable resources. It is very important that we use renewable and non-renewable resources wisely. If a resource is used and thrown away, gradually the resource will become scarce. There will be a shortage of the resources and human life will some to a standstill as no resources will be left for our future generations. Some resources are not going to last forever so we should use them without wasting them.
What are synthetic fuels?
Synthetic fuels are those fuels which very expensive to process and thus cannot be manufactured on a large scale. They are made from biomass, coal, natural gas, oil and shale.
Why is diesel cheaper than petrol?
Diesel is cheaper than petrol because its extraction processes are simpler than that of petrol. Diesel engines are more efficient than petrol engines of the same power, resulting in lower fuel consumption.
How was coal formed?
Coal is formed in the following ways-
1. Millions of years ago, the earth was covered with thick forests growing in swamps.
2. Due to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions many forests got buried under the surface
3. Due to the high temperature and pressure inside the earth, the remains of the plants turned into coal
What is coal mine?
A coal mine is a place where plenty of coal is found is called a coal mine.
What are the uses of coal?
Coal as a fuel is mainly used for:
• producing electricity and moving engines
• making many chemicals which are used in drugs, plastics, nylons and fertilizers.
• Power generation
• cement production
• steel making
Class 5 EVS Chapter 12 Question Answers Set 8
Which fuel is used in steam engine?
Coal is the fuel which is used in steam engine. It is burned to produce heat which boils water in the boiler to produce steam which moves the piston and this is how it works.
How are fossil fuels responsible for Global Warming?
Fossil fuels are those fuels which cause pollution when burnt. They give out carbon and carbon-di-oxide and other gases into the atmosphere, which results in Global warming. They are not ecofriendly resources and thus are not good for the environment.
What does alternate source of energy mean?
Alternate sources of energy means those energy source which are other than fossil fuels and are being used in place of the fossil fuels. Some alternate sources of energy are solar energy, wind energy and energy from flowing water.
Why is it important to use alternate sources of energy?
It is important to use alternate sources of energy such as solar energy, wind energy and energy from flowing water as –
• they are renewable resources
• they do not get exhausted and can be replenished easily
• their use does not cause pollution and they are thus environment friendly.
what are the following by products used for?
The byproducts of petroleum are used for:
• Petrol — used as a fuel to run vehicles.
• LPG – used for cooking
• ATF – used in aero planes
• Diesel – used to run generators, vehicles etc.
• Kerosene – used as fuel in cooking
What do you think chapter 12 of class 5th EVS NCERT is teaching us about the vehicles?
The chapter shared the information that the vehicles whether it is major or small are running on petrol or diesel that is mainly of fossil fuel and the fuel doesn’t last forever. The entire information is shared via conversation.
Did you find the main subject of the story given in unit 12 of 5 class EVS was not much easy to find?
The story is started with a school trip and then slowly proceed towards the main objective of the chapter that is to share the knowledge about the fuel that is wildly used in every sector whether from the kitchen to running vehicles. Then after making the conversation they found that how precious and limited the fuels are which made this story a little tricky to understand if someone wants to know the core to the story.
How would you suggest completing the class 5th chapter 12 of EVS?
The chapter is a little tricky to understand so I suggest reading the chapter and then understanding the characters given in the chapter because how they found the objective of the chapter is the main thing and then Revision once and twice with on-time practice would be enough to complete the chapter. By keeping the fact in mind that every student has their pace to understand the topics and chapter I would suggest the understanding of the chapter is most important before proceeding to revise.