NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Geography Chapter 4 Industries in Hindi and English Medium revised for academic year 2023-24 CBSE and State board. Class 8 Geography chapter 4 solutions are modified and updated as per the new rationalised NCERT books issued for session 2023-24.
NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Geography Chapter 4
Class 8 Geography Chapter 4 extra Question
What do you understand by term ‘industry’?
Industry refers to an economic activity that is concerned with production of goods, extraction of minerals or the provision of services. Thus we have iron and steel industry (production of goods), coal mining industry (extraction of coal) and tourism industry (service provider).
What are different Types of Industries?
1. Industries can be classified on the basis of raw materials, size and ownership.
Ownership: Industries can be classified into private sector, state owned or public sector, joint sector and cooperative sector.
2. Private sector industries are owned and operated by individuals or a group of individuals.
3. The public sector industries are owned and operated by the government, such as Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and Steel Authority of India Limited.
4. Joint sector industries are owned and operated by the state and individuals or a group of individuals. Maruti Udyog Limited is an example of joint sector industry.
5. Co-operative sector industries are owned and operated by the producers or suppliers of raw materials, workers or both. Anand Milk Union Limited and Sudha Dairy are a success stories of a co-operative venture.
What are the Risk Reduction Measures?
1. Densely populated residential areas should be separated far away from the industrial areas.
2. Fire warning and fighting system should be improved.
3. Storage capacity of toxic substances should be limited.
4. Pollution dispersion qualities in the industries should be improved.
Class 8 Geography Chapter 4 Question Answers
CBSE NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Geography Chapter 4 Industries is given below in updated form for session 2023-24. Download NCERT Solutions offline apps for iOS and Android for offline use free of cost. All the apps are updated for new academic session 2023-24.
Important Questions on 8th Geography Chapter 4
What is meant by the term ‘industry’?
Industry refers to an economic activity that is concerned with production of goods, extraction of minerals or the provision of services. Iron and steel industry (production of goods), coal mining industry (extraction of coal) and tourism industry (service provider) are the examples of industries.
Which are the main factors which influence the location of an industry?
The following factors influences for the location of an industry: Availability of land Proper supply of water Availability of raw material Adequate supply of power to run the industry Availability of man power Investing capital Transport facility Market to supply products
Which industry is often referred to as the backbone of modern industry and why?
Iron and steel industry is often referred as the backbone of the modern industry because all the tools, machineries, equipments, material for construction, etc. are made up of either iron or its alloys.
Why cotton textile industry rapidly expanded in Mumbai?
Cotton textile rapidly expanded in Mumbai because it has most of the favourable conditions for cotton industry like warm and moist climate, facility of port for importing and exporting good and machineries and the availability of cheap and skilled labour.
What are the similarities between information technology industry in Bangalore and California?
The similarities between information technology industry in Bangalore and California are as follows: Availability of skilled man power Pleasant climate and clean environment Well-developed and well-connected industries Connected to marked properly
Tick the correct answer: Silicon Valley is located in (a) Bangalore (b) California (c) Ahmedabad
Tick the correct answer: Which one of the following is a natural fibre? (a) nylon (b) jute (c) acrylic.
Important Notes on 8th Geography Chapter 4
More about Industries
1. Agro based industries use plant and animal based products as their raw materials. Food processing, vegetable oil, cotton textile, dairy products and leather industries are examples of agro-based industries.
2. Marine based industries use products from the sea and oceans as raw materials. Industries processing sea food or manufacturing fish oil are some examples.
3. Forest based industries utilise forest produce as raw materials. The industries associated with forests are pulp and paper, pharmaceuticals, furniture and buildings.
4. Mineral based industries are primary industries that use mineral ores as their raw materials. The products of these industries feed other industries. Iron made from iron ore is the product of mineral based industry. This is used as raw material for the manufacture of a number of other products, such as heavy machinery, building materials and railway coaches.