NCERT Class 11 Physical Education Chapter 9 Psychology and Sports in Hindi and English Medium study material, CBSE books for revision, important questions, and notes for session 2023-24. According to latest CBSE curriculum, now there are only five chapters in first term and rest five in second term exams. So, please check the syllabus before starting the preparation.
In class 11 Physical Education chapter 9, students will learn about Definition as well as Importance of Psychology in Physical Education and Sports, Define and Differentiate between Growth and Development, Developmental characteristics at Different Stage of Growth and Development and Adolescent Problems and their Management.
Class 11 Physical Education Chapter 9 Question Answers
ROLE OF PSYCHOLOGY IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND SPORTS
Tasks for sport psychologists:
- Research – investigation into all aspects of the psychology of sport, both theoretical and applied.
- Education – teaching students, officials and athletes about sport psychology.
- Application – assessment of and intervention in psychological problems connected to sport.
IMPORTANCE OF PSYCHOLOGY IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE
Benefits of Exercise and Physical Activity:
- i. Physical Aspect: (a) Exercise leads to improvement in physiological efficiency by conditioning the various systems in the body. It strengthens the cardiovascular and muscular systems and lowers the risk of many diseases. (b) It leads to anatomical growth and development.
- ii. Cognitive Aspect: The benefits of physical activity go beyond health and wellness of the body.
Psychological Advantages of Sports Participation
i. Behaviour modifications: Sports participation increases perceived competence and self-efficacy. Positive sports experience enhances intrinsic motivation.
ii. Cognitive and Motor Skill acquisition: Repeated training and playing sports helps in:
- improving attention deficit disorder
- developing memory
- developing reasoning ability
- developing decision making skills
Performance enhancement of athlete
Performance which include:
- self-confidence and self-efficacy
- intrinsic motivation
- aggression management
- anxiety and arousal control
- stress management
- psychological response to injury and rehabilitation
- team cohesion
- leadership and communication
CONCEPTS OF GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
Growth and development of human beings is a natural process which brings changes in mental, emotional, social, physical and moral aspects of life. Growth and development are complimentary to each other for human wellbeing. However, growth is structural and absolute in measure with limitations in progression, growth and development are processes common to all, intimately linked with each other in time and space but practically independent of each other.
Both are, however, interrelated with genetic and environmental factors and modifications. Whereas development is multi-dimensional in approach which refers to all types of changes. Changes in height, weight, size of body, organs are referred to as growth, on the other hand, development refers to changes in behaviour, intellect, emotional or social aspects of life.
CONCEPTS OF GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT IN SPORTS AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Physical educators and coaches need to be aware that children grow at different rates through varying stages of development. These stages are physical, emotional and mental and impact all areas of a child’s academic and athletic life. Children who participate in programs that are beyond their developmental capabilities can suffer injury, discouragement and disappointment, leading to their giving up sports altogether.