NCERT Solutions for Class 4 EVS Chapter 10 Hu Tu Tu, Hu Tu Tu Question answers with extra questions and their explanation updated for new session 2022-2023. All the questions given as extra questions are taken form NCERT textbook and are important for unit tests as well as school terminal exams. NCERT Questions, Extra Questions, and Important Questions collectively provide a perfect preparation of the chapter for exams.
NCERT Solutions for Class 4 EVS Chapter 10
Class 4 EVS Chapter 10 Question Answers Set 1
When you play Kabaddi, how many players do you have in a team?
There are total 12 players in a Kabaddi team. 7 players play on the ground and 5 players are reserved.
How many players got out when Shyamala touched the line?
Six players got out when Shyamala touched the line.
Do you have ways to resolve disputes in games?
We try to remain calm and peaceful and obey the umpire or referee. We hear all sides and show sportsmanship.
What does it mean to be out in games? When does one gets ‘out’ in Kabaddi?
When a player loses its turn and cannot play the same game again, he is said to be ‘out’. A player gets ‘out’ in Kabaddi when he/she loses his/her breath while playing game or is caught by the players of the opposite team.
In some games it is very important to touch the player. For example in the game of Kho-Kho, you get ‘out’ when someone touches you. You also get your turn by someone’s touch. Name some games in which it is very important to touch the players?
Some of these games are Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, Chhupa-chhupai, arm wrestling, hide and seek etc.
Class 4 EVS Chapter 10 Question Answers Set 2
In Kabaddi, the entire team was ‘out’, because Shyamala had touched the line. What are some other games in which, the central line is very important?
Tug-of-war, football, hockey, etc., are some other games in which, the central line is very important.
What are the games in which, besides the players, you have to touch some things or colours?
Kho-kho and colour race are some of the games in which we have to touch a thing or colour respectively.
Have you learnt any game from a coach? Which one?
I learnt Hockey and cricket from coaches.
What game you like?
I like playing cricket.
Do you know of anyone who has learnt any game from a coach?
Yes, my friend has learnt cricket from a coach.
Class 4 EVS Chapter 10 Question Answers Set 3
How does a coach teach? How does a coach make a player practice? How hard do you think the players have to work?
A coach teaches the rules, regulation and tricks to play a game perfectly. He helps players to improve their performance with adequate practice and hard work.
Have you ever thought of making a club for your favourite game?
Yes, I would love to make a club for cricket.
Imagine that there are 15 children to play Kho-Kho. They must form two teams with equal numbers (7 each). Then one player will be left. What will you do if this happens? Have you ever become the ‘extra person’ in the middle? Write about this.
I will make two teams consisting of seven players each and the remaining one player will be the referee.
Yes, once I was an extra person in a cricket match.
Every game has some rules. The game is played according to those rules. Let us see what happens if the rules are changed. For example – In cricket, a batsman gets ‘out’, if the bails fall off the stumps. Imagine if there is a rule that the entire team will be ‘out’, if all the three stumps fall. Would it be fun!
New rules are always made and there are changes in rules time to time. Playing a game such as cricket with new rules may give extra fun to both the players and the spectators
Class 4 EVS Chapter 10 Extra Question Answers Set 1
What are the girls playing in the picture?What are the other names of this game?
The girls are playing Kabaddi. Hu-tu-tu, Choo Kit Kit, Ha-du-du or Chedduguddur are the other names of this game.
What is Kabaddi?
Kabaddi is a game or a team sport. There are two teams on opposite halves of a small field. They take turns in sending a “raider” into the other half. This is to win points by tackling members of the opposing team.
What is the need to make rules for a game?
Rules are necessary because
• they provide an agreement for understanding the competition.
• they define what is allowed or not allowed in the game which has to be kept in mind by the players while playing the game.
• they govern anything from wearing proper uniforms to how to keep score during games of different levels of competition.
What are the rules of playing Kabaddi?
The rules for playing Kabaddi are
• Each team shall not consist of more than 12 players with only 7 taking to the field at any one time.
• There are six officials looking after each Kabaddi match. The officials comprise of a referee, a scorer, two assistant scorers and two umpires.
• The duration of the match is two halves of 20 minutes with a half time break of 5 minutes.
• After a coin toss, the winner has the choice as to have the first raid or not.
• In the second half of the match, the team that did not raid first shall begin the second half with a raid.
• To win a point when raiding, the raider must take a breath and run into the opposition’s half and tag one or more members of the opposing team and then return to their own half of the pitch before inhaling again.
• The raider must continue to repeatedly yell the word ‘Kabaddi’. Failure to do this, even for just a moment means that the rider must return to their own side of the court without points and the opposite team is awarded a point for a successful defense play.
• The team that is being raided is defending, and the players must prevent the raiders from tagging them and returning back over the halfway line.
• a team may score a point by successfully preventing the raider returning to their own half after tagging them.
• Each team will take turns in raiding and defending. Following halftime, the two teams switch sides of the court and the team who defended first in the first half begin the second half by raiding.
• The game continues in this way until the time is up, the team with the most points at the end of the match is declared the winner.
What did Shamyala do when she got surrounded while playing Kabaddi?
When six girls surrounded Shyamala and caught her, everyone thought that she was ‘out’. Somebody caught her legs, and somebody her arms, while one girl caught her by the waist. But Shyamala was not the one to give up. She dragged herself and managed to touch the line in the centre.
What happens when the raider is able to touch the line?
When the raider is able to touch the line then all the players of the opposite team who are holding him/her. All of them get ‘out’.
Name one game besides Kabaddi where it is important to touch a player.
In some games it is very important to touch the player. For example, in the game of Kho-Kho, you get ‘out’ when someone touches you. You also get your turn by someone’s touch.
Describe the game of Kabaddi in your own words.
Pushing and pulling, screaming and shouting, dragging and falling on the ground all are involved in the game of Kabaddi. It is a rough game, yet it has many rules. It is lots of fun, and lots of exercise. It involves holding your breath while running and continuously saying Kabaddi-Kabaddi and also trying to touch the players of the opposite team. So many things have to be done in Kabaddi. You have to hold your breath. You need to use both your body and mind in this game. You have to use your strength to pull or stop the players. At the same time, you have to think about how to enter the other side. You have to decide whom to touch quickly and come back. If you get caught, then how do you reach the line in the centre.
Why do you think it is important to play games?
Games are important as-
• they improve the abilities and skills of children
• develop their challenging spirits.
• they help us in the development of a healthy mind and fit body.
• As it is said that a healthy mind resides in a healthy body, so games should be practiced on a regular basis among all the students.
Class 4 EVS Chapter 10 Extra Question Answers Set 2
Why do the children experience discrimination when they have to play games?
The children have to face discrimination when they have to play games on the basis of gender, caste and class. The children coming from good background and influential families are given more opportunities in comparison to the ones coming from poor families. At times it happens that the boys are given preference over girls and are deprived of the chance to play even if they are better than the boys. Sometimes on the basis of caste also they are not given a chance to play as they are considered to be belonging to a lower caste.
What type of game is weight lifting?
Weight lifting is the sport of lifting barbells of specified weights in a given manner for competition or exercise.
How many medals has Karnam won?
Karnam has won 29 medals in international events.
What are the rules of weight lifting?
The rules of weight lifting are-
• the weightlifter is first required to pick up the barbell and bring it up to his chest (clean).
• The lifter must then pause and extend his arms and legs to lift it above the head (jerk) with a straight elbow and
• He /she has to hold it there until a buzzer is sounded.
Do girls also do weight lifting?
Yes, Girls also weightlifting and participate in games like Asian Games, Olympics etc.
Yes, Girls also weightlifting and participate in games like Asian Games, Olympics etc.
Her career’s highest achievement came at the Sydney 2000 Olympics. When she lifted 110kg and 130kg in the ‘snatch’ and ‘clean and jerk’ categories respectively to total 240kg, Karnam became the first Indian woman to win a prestigious Olympic bronze medal.
Who encouraged Jwala, Leela and Heera to play Kabaddi?
Their mother and mamas (maternal uncles) brought them up. Both uncles used to play Kabaddi and Kho-Kho. They encouraged the three girls to play Kabaddi.
What are the reasons for not allowing girls for playing Kabaddi in olden days?
Girls were not encouraged to play sports like Kabaddi in the early times because
• people thought women were very weak, and could get injured
• they should help in household works not in sports or other things
• People thought that if girls played such rough games, nobody would marry them
• they also said that the girls had to wear boys’ clothes to play Kabaddi so they should not play it.
4. What was problems faced by these three sisters when they wanted to play Kabaddi?
Almost fifty years ago when these three sisters started to play Kabaddi, girls were never given a chance to play this game. Parents did not let them play the game. But these three learnt the game and some other girls also joined us. Then, they formed a Kabaddi Club, which is active even today.
Class 4 EVS Chapter 10 Extra Question Answers Set 3
What made these sisters excited and happy?
Leela and Heera were very excited when they talked about their matches. They told how they won some matches which they were about to lose. This was possible because of their strong will.
What incidents happened when they went for matches?
During the matches, some very interesting things happened with them for example:
Once they had to go to a different town for a big match. The match had to start at 6.30 in the evening. So, they decided to see a movie from 3 to 6 o’clock. They thought that they would be back in time for the match. As soon as the movie started, they noticed some noise and disturbance. It was their mama, who was looking for them in the hall with a torch. When he found them, he gave a big scolding right there in the cinema hall.”
What is the difference between Indoor and Outdoor games.
The difference between indoor and outdoor games are as follows-
• the games that are played in open grounds are outdoor games and indoor games are played within a closed environment
• Outdoor games demand uses of physical strength and indoor games demand use of mental strength.
• majority of outdoor games need big grounds whereas the indoor games can be played in small space.
• outdoor games develop physical strength and indoor games develop intellectual abilities.
• Few examples of Indian outdoor games Indian: langadi, kabaddi, khokho, stapoo , cricket, badminton etc.and examples of Indoor games are- Chess, Carrom,snakes and ladders, ludo etc
What does Team Spirit mean? How is it important while playing games?
Team spirit is the unity among a team when they represent themselves as one unit and play together with consent and cooperation. When a group of people are really keen in reaching a goal together and thus support each other it is called Team Spirit.
Team Spirit is very important as-
• It makes the team stronger to fight or achieve the target or goal
• It is a source of motivation for all
• It also gives a feeling of belongingness to a particular team
• It represents unity and gives a spirit of working together to achieve the target or the goal.
Who is a coach?
In sports, a coach is a person who is involved in the direction, instruction and training and working of a sports team or of individual sports people. A coach may also be a teacher and he is responsible for his team and motivating them to achieve their goals.
Who is a refree?
A referee is an official who is a part of variety of sports and competitions and is responsible for enforcing the rules of the sport, including sportsmanship decisions such as eviction.
How do we resolve disputes in games?
Disputes in games can be resolved in the following ways:
• The referee should be able to properly explain the rules of game and ensure that if any player violates it while playing, he or she has to face penalty or get disqualified
• The referee should be attentive and keep a check on the moves of the players so that disputes can be resolved easily.
• In case a dispute arises, he should listen to both the teams and then give a fair decision and ensure that the person or team that is wrong has to face the punishment.
The chapter indeed tells about the story of Kabaddi play and character to explain the play. Then this chapter tells about three of the legendary players and their experiences. This is how the author is trying to encourage the children to choose sports. As the more, the children go into sports the more they will be active and physically strong.
Do you think there could be another way to prepare for chapter 10 of class 10 EVS, which is more effective?
Once you complete the chapter I suggest playing the game and observing it while playing so one can learn the chapter and the way the game is being played that can make children choose the game and practice it for the extracurricular which is the objective of the chapter.
How do you find chapter 10 about outdoor sports is good for the EVS subject of class 4?
Chapter 10 is trying to encourage the students to choose sports so that the students can be more active and physically fit. Fit people have active minds that can grasp things more efficiently and fall sick less. Which is better for our environment as contribute to Nation growth.
Why does chapter 10 of the 4th standard EVS subject is specifically made about the Kabaddi game?
Everyone knows about hockey and cricket are the most famous games which are why most of the other games are being neglected. These games are bend towards male sports and kabaddi is one of the games that doesn’t have to be such a game. To give the game more important than the other games so that people choose other games too rather than being only interested in cricket. That is why the government of each and every state is encouraging and arranging sports contests of various games rather than only cricket.