Gymnastics is an attractive, fascinating and popular sport. The word ‘Gymnastics’ is derived from the Greek Word Gymnus, which means ‘Naked body’. The exercises performed by hunk body is called gymnastics. These exercises used to be done for the health of the body.
Rules for Playing Gymnastics as Sports
History of Gymnastics
Gymnastics is an ancient and basic sport. Johann Guts Muths (1759-1839) who is known as the great grandfather of Gymnastics, introduced it into the Persian schools. It can be said that Germany rediscovered Gymnastic and owing to that the International Gymnastic Federation was formed in 1881. The first competition of gymnastics was held in Germany in 1884. It was included for men in the first modern Olympic Games which were held in Athens in 1896. Gymnastics for women was included in the Olympic Games in 1928. It was included in Asian Games in 1974 in Teheran Asian Games. The first World Cup of Gymnastics was introduced in 1975.
Measurements and specification of equipments
A. Equipments for men
|Floor||12 m × 12 m|
|Length of bars||3500 mm|
|Width of bars||420-520 mm|
|Height of the bar||1750 mm|
|Diameter of bar||28 mm|
|Length of bar||2400 mm|
|Height of the bar||2550 to 2700 mm|
|Diameter of uprights||54 – 60 mm|
|Diameter of tension wire||5–6 mm|
|Height of vaulting horse||1350mm|
|Adjustable steps in the intervals||50 mm|
|Diameter (grip)||28 mm|
|Height of stand from floor||5500 mm|
|Length of leather straps||700 mm|
|Inside diameter of ring||180 mm|
|Height of the ring from floor||2500 mm|
|Length of Pommel Horse||1600 mm|
|Width of Pommel Horse||350 mm|
|Height from the floor||1100 mm|
|Height of Pommel||120 mm|
|Distance between Pommels||400-450 mm|
Equipments for women
|Floor||12 m × 12 m|
|Height of Vaulting horse||1250 mm|
|Adjustable steps in the intervals||100-150 mm|
|Length of beam||5000 mm|
|Width of beam||100 mm|
|Height of beam||1200 mm|
|Adjustable steps||700 – 1200 mm|
|Height of the bars from floor||2300 mm and 1500 mm|
|Length of uneven bars||2400 mm|
|Distance between bars||580-900 mm|
|Diameter of uprights||50-60 mm|
|Thickness of uprights||30 mm|
- Gymnasts present themselves to a judge before and after the event. They start their exercise when the signal is given to them. If during the exercise, they fall, they have 30 seconds to remount and continue.
- Gymnasts are not allowed to leave the arena during competition without permission.
- Women compete in four artistic events i.e. vaulting horse, uneven bars, balancing beam and floor exercises. Men compete in six artistic events i.e. floor exercises, vaulting horse, pommel horse, roman rings, horizontal bars and parallel bars.
- In team competition 6 gymnasts of each team perform a compulsory and an optional exercise on each apparatus. Five highest scores are added to get the team total.
- A gymnast must wear proper attire. He may wear bandages and slippers or socks. He/she must begin the exercise within 30 seconds once he/she is given signal. On the horizontal bar and roman rings, a coach or another gymnast may assist a gymnast into a hanging position.
- Breakdown of points are given below:
|Breakdown of points||Men||Women|
|Risk originality & virtuality||0.60||___|
|Execution & virtuality||4.40||4.00|
Apparatus, Beam, Flank, Front, Horizontal Bar, Mount, Spring Board, Mat, Parallel Bars, Vault, Turn Circle, Pommel etc.
- 1. National Championship
- 2. Federation Cup
- 3. All India Inter University
- 4. School National
- 5. National Games
- 6. Asian Games
- 7. Olympic Games
- 8. China Cup
(1) Nelli Kim
(2) Karin Jaz
(3) Olga Korbut
(4) Dov Lupi
(5) Elvira Saadi
(6) Nadia Comaneci