Judo in Physical Education
Judo originated in Japan. It is the most famous sport in Japan. Judo means ‘The gentle way’. It is a defensive, a spectator sport and also a competitive sport. It is also called modern Japanese martial art.It came to India by Japanese travellers. Japanese used to practise Judo in a hall which was called Du. Joe.
History of Judo Sports
In Shantiniketan, the practice of Judo was a special feature. Judo Association of India was established in 1964, and first national Judo Championship was organised in 1966. India participated in Judo in the 1986 Asian Games in which India won four bronze medals.
Measurements and specifications of equipments
|Name of playground||Shiajo|
|Shape of play field||Square|
|Each side of the platform||30 feet|
|No. of pieces of mat covering the platform||50|
|Size of each piece of mat||3′ × ‘6|
|Officials (referee- 1, Judges- 2, Scorer- 1, recorder- 1)||5|
|Time duration for bout||5 minutes (men) 4 minutes (women)|
Weight categories of Judo
|56 kg and less than 56 kg||44 kg and less than 44 kg|
|60 kg||48 kg|
|66 kg||52 kg|
|73 kg||57 kg|
|81 kg||70 kg|
|90 kg||78 kg|
|100 kg and more weight||78 kg and more weight|
- 1. Time duration for judo competition (bout) is 5 minutes for men and 4 minutes for women for Olympic and world championships.
- 2. After progress has been made in throwing techniques a competitor can unhesitatingly take a lying position and in this way become offensive.
- 3. When competitor falls while adapting throwing technique or takes offensive, and the opponent falls, even then he can take a lying posture.
- 4. The throwing technique is valid, if the maximum body of his opponent shall remain inside the contesting area.
- 5. When one or both the competitors are outside the contest area, the use of any technique is reckoned a failure and shall be declared against the rules.
- 6. Judoco should wear formal dress (Judogi) for competition.
- 7. Referee may declare a losing judoco as a winner, if he finds that the opponent, Judoco has caused any injury to him/her knowingly.
- 8. Hitting or holding the opponent by hand is prohibited.
- 9. A judoco may be discarded off, if he/she does not reach at starting point after three calls made by referee.
- 10. A Judoco can be declared losing player if he/she is not wearing a neat and clean dress having tidy hair and does not have properly cut nails.
- 11. One judoco wears red belt and the other wears white belt while competing in the ring.
|Dan||Black belt run|
1. World Cup
2. Federation Cup
3. All India Judo Competition
4. International Zic Zee Judo Cup Tournament
5. Asian Games
6. Olympic Games
7. Commonwealth Championships
8. Junior Asian Championships
9. Asian youth Judo Championship
|2004||Angom Anita Chanu|