Handball in Physical Education
Handball game was included separately in the 1936 Olympics at Berlin. After the second world war, the international handball federation came into existence. After that Handball was excluded from the Olympic games, but since 1972 and 1976, it is being played for men and women, respectively.Handball was introduced in India in the year 1970.
History of Handball
Handball was introduced by a famous gymnast Konrad Koch of Germany, in the 19th century. This game became popular with time slowly. Its main drawback was that it used to be considered a game of athletics. A show match of Handball was held in the 1928 Olympics at Amsterdam. In this Olympics, 11 countries participated in the competition.
Measurements and Specifications of Equipment
|Playing court||40 m× 20 m|
|Height of the goals||2 m|
|Width of the goals||3 m|
|Width of the goal lines between goalposts||8 cm|
|Length of the 7-meter line||1 m|
|Length of the 4-meter line||15 m|
|Total number of players||16 players (6 court players, 1 goal keeper and 9 substitutes)|
|Weight of the ball||male over 16 years 425 to 475 gm and men|
|Circumference of the ball||male over 58 to 60 cm 16 years and men|
|Weight of the ball||Women, female youth 325 to 375 gm over 14 years and male youth 12 to 16 years|
|Circumference of the ball||women, female 54 to 56 cm youth over 14 years and male youth 12 to 16 years|
|Weight of the ball||female youth 8-14 years and 290 to 330 gm male youth 8 to 12 years|
|Circumference of the ball||female youth 8-14 years and 50 to 52 gm male youth 8-12 year|
|Playing time or duration||(male & female) 30 -10 (rest) -30 minutes|
1. A team consists of upto 14 players.
2. 7 players from the playing team and remaining are substitutes.
3. One timeout is permitted to each team during every half of the match.
4. Handball should be made of either leather or synthetic material and its surface should not be highly shiny and smooth.
5. One free throw will be given to the team, if an extra player has been changed in foul manner in the opponent team.
6. Every player of a team should enter or leave the field through the substitute line assigned for that team.
7. Only goalkeeper can enter into the goal zone. Any other player can enter in the goal zone after completing the process of goal making.
8. The ball shall be held by the player for 3 seconds.
9. Same player cannot touch the ball twice continuously.
10. Players of the opponent team should stay at 3 meter distance from the thrower for a free throw.
Goal area, Dribble shot, Free throw, throw in, 7 m throw Dodging, Holding the ball, penalty throw.
1. National Championship
2. Federation Cup
3. Inter University Handball Championship
4. U. S. A. Cup
5. National Games
6. Olympic Games
7. Asian Games
8. SAF Games
Questions and Answers for Viva
Q.1 What are the measurements of Handball ground?
Ans. 40 m × 20 m
Q.2 What is the height and length of goalpost?
Ans. Height of the pole is 2 m and length is 3 m.
Q.3 What is the duration of the game for men?
Ans. The duration of the game for men is 30-10-30 minutes.
Q.4 How many officials are requied in handball?
Ans. Four officials are required in handball i.e.2 referees,1 scorer and 1-time keeper.
Q.5 How many players are there in a team?
Ans. Seven players and nine substitute players with a total of 16 players.
Q.6 For how much time can a player hold the ball?
Ans. Three seconds.
Q.7 What is the circumference of Handball for men?
Ans. For men the circumference of Handball is 58 cm to 60cm.
Q.8 What is the circumference of handball for women?
Ans. For women the circumference of Handball is 54 to 56 cm.
Q.9 What is the duration of Handball match for women?
Ans. The duration of handball match for women is 30-10-30 minutes.
Q.10 How many players are required to start a match?
Ans. At least 5 players on each side are required to start a match.